Friday, May 11, 2012

The Balloon

I've had a number of profound or unusual moments in my life. One of which happened when I was working at a Diamond Tooling Factory. I was about 20 at the time.
I had recently read a book called Autobiography of a yogi as well as a book called Illusions by Richard Bach. I was also using the I Ching. I used it every day. I carried it everywhere with me. I was focused intently on penetrating the seeming reality of life. Trying hard to reach a state of pure perception.
I was sitting outside the back of the factory taking my lunch break. It was pretty quite back there as I sat in a state of contemplation looking across to the railway station about 50 yards away. It was a perfect summers day, warm with virtually no wind at all.  I observed a large gas filled Balloon with string attached that some child had probably let go, move very very slowly over the roof of the station from left to right, and move down and hover motionless for some time above the Station platform.
A thought came to me that it would be really cool if it came over to me so that I could capture it. Suddenly the Balloon began to move up and over the high wire fence and gently bound strait towards me several feet above the old abandoned railway tracks, not deviating at all lifting up over the factory fence and on toward me until it stopped and sat motionless above my head the string dangling inches away. How cool I thought in amazement. Then I desired that it go up into the sky so I pointed at it saying go up. The balloon began to ascend into the sky going higher and higher and Higher still no wind to speak of.  The balloon directly went up, so high I lost sight of it!
The work bell sounded a few minutes later for the end of lunch break and I came in feeling a sense of elation. One of my work mates came over to me and quietly said. "I saw that!" and went off to carry on working. Unbeknownst to me he had been sitting round the corner outside, when I had assumed I was alone.

1 comment:

  1. Michael..I had a similar experience just the other day, it was an "Ernie" balloon. It came down and floated toward me, but then it took off and went back up and disappeared. i was trying to steer it, and i was asking my mom and dad to bring it to me, but no luck. I wanted so badly for my parents to bring me that balloon!

    ReplyDelete