Saturday, May 12, 2012

Marmalade

Spokane Washington was the venue for a large convention which we attended. having purchased a booth we sat around a small table doing what we do for two and a half days. We had been there a day and a half already, and on the second day at about lunch time, a woman sat down with us to have a session. The woman's husband Immediately made his presence known to me, he was a good talker and had no problem conveying what was on his mind to her, although she was hardly saying a word I could see that this was affecting her a lot, until her eyes got so puffy that she could hardly see. It was obvious  that she was holding back the tears, then he said something about marmalade to me, "Tell her about the marmalade he said." When I did she just shrieked and put her hand to her chest.  "Hmm...this is really intense," I thought, but she said nothing. We continued till we were nearly done, she quietly acknowledging a few things through her emotion, until Marti put down the picture she had drawn for her to look at.  The Woman just jumped back on her chair grabbed her chest and screamed out loud.
I just remember thinking "bloody hell!, she 's going to have a heart attack and I'm going to get arrested."
Marti had sketched her husband!!!  The woman was very Quite when she left.
after this somewhat intense session was over, Marti and I joked about what would happen if she died while sitting with us.  We decided to take a small break to eat, and have a quick wonder around the show to see some other booths, and we came across the same woman again at another booth. It turned out that she was an exhibitor there, we said hello to her she was a little more talkative and thanked us. later that day we had a few more clients, who, had apparently been sent over to us by that lady.
Eventually we arrived home, I could not help thinking about the woman with the extreme reaction.  I decided to call her to make sure she was alright, she answered the phone and we talked, then after a few minutes, she revealed to me that she had actually come to sit with us, to make us out to be the frauds that she thought we were!
I was a bit stunned by this remark. "Really?" I said.
"Oh yeah I came around there to cut you down to the Knees" she said
"What?" I replied. I must admit I wasn't sure whether I felt upset with her or not at that moment I just couldn't believe what I was hearing but I continued listening.
"I had found out about you from someone there, and I thought to myself, how dare they take money from people over their grief.  I thought you were just ripping people off, so I came storming round there to sort you out!" She said.
the conversation was revealing and needless to say she had changed her tune!
I called the lady again a while later because I wanted to know what the marmalade reference meant.
This is what she wrote me.

Marti and Michael-

The marmalade part of our reading was just one more thing that no one could have known about unless they had a direct line to the source.  I personally can't bear to even think about eating the stuff - however, Harold absolutely loved it...ate it right out of the jar with a spoon. When the jar was about half empty, he'd make a little joke about how WE had eaten so much of it that we'd have to go back to the store for more. I probably haven't thought about marmalade since he died, until Michael said the word. It seemed to send an electric shock through me...needless to say, that would have been the LAST thing I would have expected him to say.

Love to you both -
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment