Thursday, November 10, 2011

The American Indian and the Vietnam Vet

Years ago, on a lazy Sunday afternoon, sitting in the lobby of the Masonic Temple in Lomita, California, a middle-aged Hispanic guy comes in and sits down across from me.  In the small cozy room, he says nothing.  Time passed, so I broke the silence.  "Hi!  Are you waiting to see Doris?" I asked him.  (Doris was the head of the small church that we were part of which sponsored the bi-weekly psychic fair that we were participating in.)
"Yes," he said.
"Did your mom tell you to come see her?" I asked.
"Yeah, my Mom told me come."  He seemed a slightly embarrassed; apparently when his mom tells him go see Doris, he does.
Suddenly, I saw a large, well-built man standing next to him.  He was a Native American Indian, about six-foot-six inches tall with short hair, wearing a GI outfit.
A little surprised by the sudden appearance of this spirit, and not sure yet if he was connected to the Hispanic guy, I asked, "Were you ever in the military?"
"Uh huh," he replied.
"Were you in Vietnam?" I asked.
"Yes, I was," he acknowledged.
I was a little hesitant to tell him who I could see.  I don't know why.
"You must have lost a lot of friends out there," I said.  Somehow I knew he had seen intense action.
He was thoughtful for a moment, then said, "We went into a valley once:  over four hundred of us and only eight came out alive."
The spirit man was still standing next to him, as clear as day, so I decided to tell him who I was seeing.  I described him and told him he was showering him with love.
"He died in my arms," came the reply.
I could feel myself choking with emotion. "You know he's a big, gentle giant of a man. He wouldn't hurt a fly!"
"That's him.  That's what he was like," he said, deep in thought.
"I have to tell you that the love coming to you from him is so much more than that.  He is pouring love into you!"
He responded, "Well, when I came home, I went to visit his mother. I ended up adopting his daughter and raised her as my own."
I think that's when I nearly lost it emotionally.  We sat in silence for a few minutes and then it was his time to go in and have his reading with Doris.

No comments:

Post a Comment