Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Closure, long overdue

I want to thank John for writing this letter, and saying I could share his story

Dear Michael and Marti:
             
                My name is John Bishop, my wife Marsha, sister Margo, and I met you at your friend's trailer house in Phoenix this last may.  If you'll remember, my wife had met you before in CA.  With a different sister, and was wanting to contact her mother, I was just along for support. 
Some time after the reading began we all realized that I was there for other reasons as well, I'm the guy that was in the motorcycle wreck 18 yrs ago that killed a young boy pedestrian.  You thought the name of the person was Dan or Daniel that was trying to come through, and later I realized it must be Don, Donald was his full name. 
I believe you'll remember this, being it was just this may, and also how emotional (hard) it was for me to bring it all back up again.  At the end of the reading, you gave me two messages from don, asking me to contact his mother again, and tell her he was fine and that he loved her, and to put this behind me once and for all.  Those messages are why I'm writing tonight.

This happened in Colorado Springs back in 1985.  I moved to Phoenix not long after the wreck, and about 8 years ago called Don's mother.  I had wanted to do this for years, but had signed agreements with the insurance company stating that I would never contact them.  As the phone call ended, she asked that the next time I was back in the Springs, to please call here so that we could meet face to face. I told her I would, but never found the courage to do that the two times I have been back since.  The message you gave me from Don, reminded me that this is something that was long over due, and as it happens I was going to be there this month.  I did go up there about five weeks ago, planning on calling her.  I put it off and put it off, and let the clock run out on time without ever calling her.  On my way out of town, I got hurt in a freak accident, had to leave all my stuff there and fly home for emergency surgery.  This of course meant that I had to go back and get the stuff, giving me more time.  I still put it off till the last minute, but the day before I left I called and left a message on a machine that I was in town and would meet with her if she still wanted to. 
The story takes on yet another twist.
After hearing nothing all day long, I said to myself I called, I tied, now I can go home.  A little after six PM, My cell phone rang.  It was Don's dad whom I had never spoken to, calling to say his wife had died over a year ago.  I had heard from his wife as well as other outsiders that he had a major problem with me, and that us talking might be very difficult.  My heart fell again, realizing that I had promised to meet his wife, had been home two different times, and now lost my chance to keep my promise.  I told him of meeting you, and the message from Don to get in touch with his mother and send his love.  Honestly, at this point I was angry.  I had never really believed in this type of thing prior to meeting you, and at this point was wondering why I was asked to contact someone that was already passed.
I shared this with him as it was racing through my mind, and now the story takes yet another twist again. He said that he would like to meet me, and would I be willing to meet him at the grave site right now.  I agreed, dropped what I was doing and drove there to meet him.  We spent an hour or so talking, sharing stories, and just getting to know each other.  It was the most healing thing I have ever done with regard to this piece of my past.  As we were about to part ways, he said he had been thinking of Don's message on the drive over, and this is what he thought.  He said you had been close in the name Dan not Don, and maybe you had gotten the message wrong, tell dad I'm fine and that I love him, not his mom.  He seemed to really believe that the message was for him, and seamed to get a great deal of comfort from it as well.  We parted more than friends I feel, and for me, I think that finally I may be able to close the book on this part of my past.  He asked if we could stay in touch, and I said yes.
I have a different read on Don's message now.  I think he knew how worried about meeting his father I was.  I think he knew that I would not follow through with his wish if he asked that I meet his dad.  I think for my own good he tricked me, knowing that if the two of us could just meet, it would all work out for the best, and I feel without a doubt that it has done just that.
I do feel that I can finally put this behind me once and for all, which if you remember , was the other message Don asked of me.  I"m so thankful to the two of you, thank you very much......

No comments:

Post a Comment