Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Kung Fu Grandpa

Marti and I were part of a two day Mind Body Spirit event once just north of San Diego, California. It was a quiet Sunday morning.  We were sitting at our booth a little bored as there were very few people there yet.  A group of teenagers sauntered by our table, with one of the young men straggling along behind.  He didn't look like he even wanted to be there.  He was just standing there looking around when Marti noticed an emblem on his tee shirt.
"Look at that!" she said to me, pointing out his shirt.  "It looks like the one I drew on the portrait that's in our book." 
We did indeed have a portrait in Marti's portfolio of a man who was never identified; we kept the picture in the book because he looked cool.  I got the young man's attention and asked him over to look at the book.  I told him he looked bored and he might find this interesting.  I flipped through the pages to the picture of the man with the emblem on his shirt.
"Look at that," I said.  "He has almost the identical emblem on his shirt as you do!"
He stared at the picture for a moment, and then almost laughingly said, "He looks like my granddad."
"Really?" I asked.
He then looked harder at the portrait and became more serious, and slightly confused, exclaimed, "That is my Granddad!"
I didn't know what to make of this. I asked him again, "Are you serious?  It really looks like him?"
He looked a little weirded out and said he couldn't understand how a picture of his granddad got into our book!
"Where did you get this picture from?" he asked.
I did remember a few things about this drawing.  It had been drawn at the Masonic Temple in Pasadena at a similar event to this one.  The man it was drawn for didn't recognize the picture, so I queried the deceased guy for some information about himself.  He talked about martial arts.  The guy having the session still didn't recognize the picture.
"My granddad lived in Pasadena all his life - that's where we all grew up!  When he died we held a garage sale and we sold over 100 Kung Fu and martial arts movies of his.  They're the only movies he watched.
He also added that he was a fireman in Pasadena
Marti and I told him that's probably what the flames under the emblem on the drawing meant, which was the only difference between the shirt logos.
I told him that if he had not worn that shirt we wouldn't have said anything to him.
He told us he hadn't worn the shirt in over a year and didn't know why he had put it on that day.  It was very tight on him and it looked like he was wearing his little brother's shirt!
"You know," I said, "your grandfather must have made you put it on and come here today so that you would end up looking at his picture."
He admitted to me that he wasn't keen to be there and that he was just stringing along with his friends.  He then promised to send us a photo of his granddad.  But sadly, he never did.
Marti and I are pretty certain it was his grandfather.  He must have hijacked our session with the guy that sat with us in Pasadena.  This is a rather unusual event and does not happen a lot.  Marti's pictures are usually for the person that sits with us.  I found the phone number of the guy in Pasadena that the picture was drawn for and asked him if he had kept the tape of his session.  He said he hadn't and didn't seem to care about this amazing connection when I told him. He sounded very cynical and perhaps that's why this granddad took over his session, to reach his grandson 2 years later, and over 150 miles away!

No comments:

Post a Comment