Sunday, November 13, 2011

The toupee

There are many hilariously funny moments that come up in the work we do.  This is one of them.
We were doing a series of private sessions at a friend's home, and at the end of one, Marti showed the portrait she had done to the client.  She had draw him with all of his teeth showing, as if he was laughing out loud.
"Oh!" she exclaimed, "that's my deceased uncle, the one Michael was just speaking with."
Marti responded, "I had trouble with the hair. First I drew hair on him, but ended up erasing most of it."
The woman started laughing.  "He never had hair, as long as I knew him.  He died when I was twelve years old and at his funeral my two cousins and I were sent up to the coffin to say our last goodbyes.  We were surprised to see he had a wig on. We all thought it looked so funny we began trying to blow it off!  We were laughing hysterically and tears were streaming down our faces.  Our parents, thinking we were upset and crying, came up to get us!
We understood then why Marti had such difficulty with the hair and drew him laughing. I told the lady that her uncle was at the funeral and saw the whole thing.  He thought it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen!

1 comment:

  1. What a great story, Michael!! I do happen to think that they do have quite a sense of humor on the other side :) Great to see you & Marti at Kathy's...some of it was very comforting, and other things were rather chilling. Thank you for a wonderful evening!!

    ReplyDelete